Age-Friendly Funding Opportunity: The application period for the 2020 AARP Community Challenge is open!
The AARP Community Challenge provides small grants to fund “quick-action” projects that can help communities become more livable for people of all ages. Applications are being accepted for projects to improve housing, transportation, public space, technology (“smart cities”), civic engagement and more.
- April 1, 2020: Applications are due by 11:59 pm (ET)
- May 26, 2020: Applicants will be notified of their status this week
- July 15, 2020: The selected grantees will be announced to the public — and the project work can begin — on or around this date
- November 9, 2020: All funded projects must be completed
- December 11, 2020: Deadline for after-action reports
AARP will prioritize projects that aim to achieve the following outcomes:
- Increasing civic engagement with innovative and tangible projects that bring residents and local leaders together to address challenges and facilitate a greater sense of community inclusion and diversity. (Although this category is targeted to local governments, nonprofit organizations can apply for and receive a grant in this category provided they demonstrate that they are working with local governments to solicit and include residents’ insights about the project or to help solve a pressing challenge.)
- Create vibrant public places that improve open spaces, parks and access to other amenities.
- Deliver a range of transportation and mobility options that increase connectivity, walkability, bikeability, wayfinding, access to transportation options and roadway improvements.
- Support the availability of a range of housing that increases accessible and affordable housing options.
- Demonstrate the tangible value of “Smart Cities” with programs that engage residents in accessing, understanding and using data, and participating in decision-making to increase the quality of life for all.
- Other community improvements: In addition to the five areas of focus, AARP wants to hear about local needs and new, innovative ideas for addressing them.
Click HERE to learn more about the details, eligibility requirements, and deadlines for this year’s “quick-action” grant program.