Press Release: EOHHS Awards $9M in Support and Change Grants to Nursing Facilities

10 nursing facilities received funding as part of Governor Raimondo’s Long-Term Services and Supports Initiative

The Executive Office of Health and Human Services announced today that 10 nursing facilities have received grant awards through the Nursing Facility Program Support and Change program. This program was originally announced on July 2, 2020 by Governor Gina Raimondo as part of the State’s $25M investment of CARES Act funding in the state’s long term services and supports system.

$9M in awards will go to nursing facilities who applied to the program seeking support to diversify their business models to remain viable through the public health emergency, mitigate the impact of COVID-19, diversify their revenue, and expand quality services to specialized populations. These grants will allow selected nursing facilities to better mitigate potential spread of COVID-19 through new models, and support them given business disruptions due to the public health emergency.

“The COVID-19 public health emergency has had a significant impact on Rhode Island’s nursing facilities,” said Executive Office of Health and Human Services (EOHHS) Secretary Womazetta Jones. “This partnership represents an opportunity to extend that cooperation to build strong resilience for the current crisis and improve health outcomes for all Rhode Islanders in need of long-term services and supports.”

Under this program, facilities submitted proposals for additional financial assistance, detailing transformation plans and the number of licensed beds to either be de-licensed, taken out of service, or reserved for specialized resident needs. Successful applicants needed to demonstrate organizational readiness, community partnerships, Medicaid participation, a clear and well-structured workplan, and a clear commitment to nursing facility diversification or building of specialized service capacity. Grantees proposed transformation plans ranging from developing additional geriatric psychiatric capacity to developing new memory care assisted living to the development of private rooms within existing nursing facilities. Funds are made available through the program to prevent, prepare for and respond to the public health emergency, and for costs resulting from business interruption resulting from COVID-19.

“From for-profit and non-profit nursing facilities, from Aquidneck Island to Providence to South County, grantees in this program showed the ingenuity within Rhode Island’s long-term services and supports system,” said Medicaid Director Benjamin Shaffer, “I am pleased we are able to award investments like these to help nursing facilities respond to the current public health emergency, and build for a stronger future. Through these efforts, we will expand capacity in needed areas to help ensure that all Rhode Islanders can choose quality long-term care options.”

Potential residents with co-morbidities that make them particularly susceptible to the virus, often end up in hospital settings where they otherwise could be cared for in less restrictive, nursing home settings. For example, individuals with complex behavioral health needs, traumatic brain injury, or patients in need of a ventilator may require a stay at a nursing facility to stabilize before returning home. However, if there are no specialized nursing home beds available for those types of patients, they remain in the hospital. During the public health emergency, the state and providers need to ensure that hospital beds are free for the sickest patients. Therefore, creating opportunities for nursing facilities to meet the needs of specialized complex populations will create additional demand for nursing facilities who need it, and address concerns of hospitals during the continuing public health emergency.

The State of Rhode Island looks forward to continuing to work with critically important nursing homes and stakeholders to carry out this partnership. Awardees will receive 30% of the grant award up front, and the remaining 70% upon demonstrated evidence of either a reduction of nursing facility beds (either de-licensed or taken out of service), or specifically reserved for targeted, specialized capacity building.


The list of recipients

  • Charlesgate Nursing Center – $1M awarded
  • Elderwood of Scallop Shell at Wakefield – $1M awarded
  • Elmhurst Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center – $500K awarded
  • Hopkins Manor AKA Lincolnwood Rehabilitation Healthcare Center – $500K awarded
  • Linn Health & Rehabilitation – $1M awarded
  • Royal at Forest Farm AKA Royal at Middletown – $1M awarded
  • Saint Elizabeth Home – $1M awarded
  • Saint Antoine Residence – $1M awarded
  • Saint Clare Home – $1M awarded
  • West View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center – $1M awarded


For more information about Long Term Services and Supports Resiliency Programs, please visit: