Job Posting: The Village Common, Executive Director
The Providence Village is looking for an Executive Director to drive the creation and operation of a new organization – The Village Common – that will support the growth and sustainability of, not just the Providence Village, but of many more communities of mutual support across Rhode Island.
Nationwide, the Village Movement is comprised of over 200 Villages that actively support older adults in living rich, full lives in their own homes and communities. Inspired by the Village Movement, friends and neighbors came together to create the community of mutual support that is The Providence Village of Rhode Island. Now in our fourth year of successful operations, we provide more than 110 members with practical support, such as transportation, errands and help around the home; many varied social activities and plenty of opportunities to make a difference by volunteering. It is this willingness to support one another that makes the Providence Village possible. More than 70 volunteers, half of whom are Village members, are involved Village operations, management and governance.
The Providence Village is looking for an Executive Director to drive the creation and operation of a new organization – The Village Common – that will support the growth and sustainability of, not just the Providence Village, but of many more communities of mutual support across Rhode Island. The creation of the Village Common will accelerate the development of new Villages, avoid redundant Village administration and provide direct support for the creation of new Villages. It will also provide for common operations, management and governance across all participating Villages and free up time and resources of each Village to focus on their membership and volunteers.
The ideal candidate must demonstrate the ability to work effectively with the Board to operationalize the Village Common vision while sustaining and growing the Providence Village. Furthermore, this individual must demonstrate excellent organizational and communication skills, entrepreneurial drive, a strategic mind-set, a high degree of emotional awareness, and the capacity to work collaboratively with members, volunteers, board, and staff.
Community Outreach and Communication
- Seek out and work with RI communities expressing interest in developing a community of mutual support
- Establish collaborative working relationships and share programming resources among Village leaders
- Build alliances with other community organizations whose mission aligns with Village Common’s mission
- Establish and maintain working relationships with local, state and federal programming resources
- Assure that the organization and its mission, programs and services are presented consistently, accurately and positively
- Oversee all communications including website content, newsletter, press releases, annual reports, promotional brochures, and other marketing materials
- Support fundraising Board fundraising efforts to assure a stable base of financial support
- Oversee grant proposals with assistance from consultants, board members and volunteers
- Translate Board vision and directives into programs and services for Villages
- Provide Board with program and financial reporting as required
- Work with Executive Committee of the Board to create and operationalize Village Common governance, responsibilities and ways of working
- Develop updates to Village Common Strategic Plan
- Set priorities for the organization jointly with the board
- Lead the organizational development and growth of the Village Common
- Oversee operations
- Oversee recruitment and retention of members and volunteers
- Manage paid staff and volunteer
- Organize and lead the Village Common Management Council
- Manage finances of the organization
Programs and Services
- Oversee design, marketing, promotion, delivery, and quality of programs and services;
- Recruit, vet, and train a corps of volunteers to carry out a variety of programs and functions;
- Ensure that services are delivered in a timely and satisfactory manner;
- Maintain a working knowledge of developments and trends in the Village movement
Qualifications and Experience
- Strong personal skills including a positive outlook and excellent communications skills
- Familiarity with the needs of older people who want to live active lives in their communities
- Community organizing experience is a plus
- Undergraduate and/or graduate degrees in a relevant field are desirable.
- $50,000 – $60,000, commensurate with experience. Benefits include: paid vacation, earned sick time, holidays and a contribution to health insurance.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning on February 22, 2019
How to Apply
- Email resumes with cover letter to email@example.com Subject: Executive Director Search.